Monday, July 14, 2014

Momma's perfect baby boy 7/14/2014


I was going to include a photo in my post because I couldn't stop thinking about this baby. I didn't include it because he died today. Its the kind of thing that creeps into my thoughts long after seeing it.  The photo is what you look like at 14 weeks. Alive & moving. Perfect little boy.  Of course a 14week old fetus cant survive. So this  baby boy died while we saved mom. 
We were in the OR caring for a young mom hemorrhaging with an ectopic pregnancy. She didn't "look" too bad but her hemoglobin was only 3.  Mom survived the surgery (thanks to Danae Netteburg our awesome OB doc). Unfortunately another child died in Chad today. This time it was unavoidable but the sadness is the same.  We saved a man with a ruptured intestine from typhoid, a man with an eroded gastric ulcer, and another OB mom in the night bleeding to death. We win some and we lose some. It is a bit like the US, but our losses come more often. I played competitive baseball most of my youth. We won most of the time except for the year my team went 1 and 17. We won one game and lost 17 games. That was a character building year. Im going to bed tonight praying that tomorrow we win another game. I'm not wanting anymore character right now. 

-Mason

No comments:

Post a Comment