Monday, August 11, 2014

Goodbye sweet baby girl


  Please keep Kim in your thoughts and prayers. This is an extremely difficult day for her. 
  Chantal Tcha Kouma was Kim's first baby girl in the nutrition program and she was tiny. She was also perpetually sick. Kim manages the malnutrition nutrition program here & I am serving as the pediatrician for the next two months so our patients often overlap. 
  Today Kim called me out of the Operating Room to see Chantal and her mother, Anina.  Chantal was in real trouble. She had been getting nutritional & medical treatment for many months but never improved. I took one look at the baby and swallowed hard as I scooped Chantal up into my lap & rested my cheek on her head. We knew this day was coming. My eyes burned as I spoke to the mother in French: we have no other medication to help. Chantal is going to die..today. 
  With a lot of sobbing & tears, Kim and Anina held each other and stayed with Chantal.  I blocked off our preop & delayed patients so two loving mothers could sit in silence with that beautiful baby girl.  
 In a few short minutes, sweet little Chantal took her last gasping breath and was gone.  Friends, this is what real pain feels like. Please God, give us strength.  
 -Mason

1 comment:

  1. Praying for all of you...
    Lyol and Zane continue to talking about Emmie and Grace. Guess the rest of you don't count. Ronnalee N

    ReplyDelete