Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Sunset moto ride 8/26/2014

  I took a ride on the motorcycle after I finished my day at the hospital. The roads were slightly drier since we didn't have rain today so I was able to relax and take in the scenery. Most of my rides happen around sunset and it is just beautiful here. We live in rural Africa and there are vast expanses of land with just a few small mud brick structures dotting the landscape. As usual, my ride was peppered with gleeful shouts & waves from the local kids who ran alongside me while shouting out variations of "Nasara bye bye". 
 Before returning home I pulled off into a field and turned off the engine. The sun was slipping away and I sat in near silence and took in a deep breath. Rainy season is such a nice break from scorching temperatures. We traded in sweat soaked sheets for mildew on our bath towels. Kim prefers the former but I'll take this weather any day. Tonight the air was thick and humid though not hot and I could smell the rich soil and manure. 
 This setting is somewhat similar to the smells & sounds of any farmland in the United States but this is Chad so there is no machinery, no tractors, no man made noise.  I sat quietly while listening to birds, and frogs, and cows & distant laughter. As the clouds gathered  in the distance I was reminded of the effects of rain here in Chad. 
  Rain waters the crops & provides drinking water for people & animals.  Unfortunately it also floods the dirt roads and paths, limiting access to supplies for us. Worse still, it means travel to the hospital will be difficult for families. Typically a torrential downpour is a killing rain: it multiplies malarial mosquitos and restricts the victims to their home village. It takes a day or two after a hard storm to see the aftermath--as flooding recedes, families will trickle into the hospital with a lethargic baby burning up with fever.  Sometimes its just too late to turn things around.  
  As I finish writing this update, it is pouring rain. Thunder and lightning fill the sky and we are strategically setting out our buckets to catch the rain that leaks through our ceiling. And I am thankful. 
  I am thankful we have this house with running water, & electricity, & a roof that keeps us mostly dry.  I'm thankful we have full-stomachs tonight after 3 good meals today. I'm thankful for the screens with only a few holes which cover our windows & keep out most of the mosquitos. I'm thankful that my family is healthy, safe from war & Ebola, & the other problems plaguing many other countries.  And I'm thankful for your thoughts & prayers (and occasional Oreos & coffee beans-- gotta do something while it rains!)

-Mason



  

No comments:

Post a Comment