Wednesday, April 1, 2015

18 Feb 2015 All better now


18 Feb 2015 All better now
When Helene came to pediatrics she was 7months old and weighed 5 kg. She was suffering with malnutrition, malaria and debilitating anemia. She also had a recto-vaginal fistula and no anus (a correctable surgical problem).
I can't say for certain why her parents brought her to the hospital...I guess maybe they wanted her to get better but I had to press them everyday to help me help her. I tried not to be judgmental but I was judging them big-time and I didn't like feeling like that.
Maybe they believed it was hopeless. Their daughter was defective. And that mom... She always smirked and smiled when we discussed her baby was dying. She said she hadn't breastfed her baby for 7 days?! I was angry almost every morning on Peds rounds. She was bed#1 and I was in disbelief each time we talked.
So baby Helene worsened day by day. Every day that dad wanted her to leave and I refused. I offered to pay for everything if they would stay. They stayed.
When Helene's hemoglobin got dangerously low, I had to ask them to give blood. They demanded to leave but I fought again for Helene. Then Danae fought for her too. Helene got her blood transfusion and I finally believed that she had a chance if her parents were going to try.
I started the next morning on Pediatric rounds ready to take on that family again but there was no need for a fight. Bed #1 was empty. Helene was already gone. I missed her by two hours and I didn't get to say goodbye...
With one gentle hand on my shoulder the nurse told me that my sweet baby Helene died that morning around 6am.
No more hunger. No more pain.
All better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment