Wednesday, April 1, 2015

29Mar2015 But Im NOT on call!

29Mar2015
But Im NOT on call!
I have to be up in 3 1/2 hours. We are heading back to the U.S. for our 2 month break. 2 months sounds like a lot of vacation to most people but I've been on call and working 24/7 for the last 10 months. And I am tired.
Kim and I finished packing and got to bed by 10pm tonight. A good nights rest is much needed ahead of our travel. Our bus departs at 6 or 7am (Africa time) Sunday morning. We will drive north through scrubby Palm, Tamarind and Neem trees until reaching the scorched desert climate of NDjamena. We will be on the move until Monday at 539pm. 40hours of travel to get back "home". Must. Get. Sleep.
But the phone rang at 1040 pm. Hemorrhaging mother. 12th baby. Emergency C-section.
I have to admit that I was less than cordial when they asked me to come in. I already said my "goodbye" and did my last case Friday afternoon. (Oh, and another quicky procedure this afternoon). Why the heck are they calling me? I'm done! I was a bit angry but sensible enough to know they wouldn't ask if they didn't really need help.
I arrived to find a very pregnant woman hemorrhaging to death. The machine repeatedly couldn't find her blood pressure. This is bad. We gave IV fluids and units of blood as fast as we could and then started the surgery.
Danae Netteburg moved fast. Cut. Clamp. Baby delivered. Unfortunately it was too late. I quickly assessed the lifeless baby girl and had to turn my attention back to the mom. She was still bleeding profusely and was in serious trouble. Danae made a quick decision to proceed with a hysterectomy to stop the hemorrhage.
More fluids and more blood were given. We were working at full speed and SWEATING like crazy. At moments it seemed as
though the mother could die. Her blood pressure was staying low despite fluids and blood and medications. And suddenly--she got better.
Her blood pressure stabilized. The incision was closed. LOTS of blood was mopped up and mom was taken to maternity. This was the happy ending we all wanted and it was a great way to leave Chad, Africa for a much needed rest. Kudos to the team tonight. In a country with the #1 or #2 maternal mortality rate in the world, our crew kept a mother alive tonight. Obstetrics is one of the happiest and saddest specialties to work in. If one of my daughters wanted to be an OB/GYN, I would tell them they are completely crazy...and then I would hug them say how proud I am. We need more crazy OB doctors!
Ok. I'm off to bed if this place will let me sleep. We have a bus to catch. We are coming home!

No comments:

Post a Comment