Saturday, February 7, 2015

*16 Nov 2014

*16 Nov 2014
     Rainy season is over. Actually it ended in October. We have traded torrential downpours for hot breezes. The moldy bath towels that used to take 2-3 days to dry are now pristine in just a few hours. 
     Can you believe it may not rain again in Chad until next May? Well that's good in some ways. Road travel is possible again though no one has graded the dirt roads so it is still cratered like the moon. But IF we wanted to go anywhere and rutted, dusty, double black diamond mogul field washboard roads weren't a deterrent, we would still have another problem to overcome: gas. There has been a shortage here since early October. At times there has been no fuel. Or if you could find it, the gas that typically sold for 600 FCFA (francs) per liter was going for 1500 or even 4000 francs per liter.  Luckily I walk to work at the hospital everyday so I'm not affected directly.        

     So back to the rain... Rain is life here in Chad. Everything needs water to live, including bugs. Right?
  We live in the bush of Africa. I know you guys have bugs where you live but we have more. Trust me. On top of that-- we have lights-- INSIDE our house. Well, kind of. We have light bulbs in practically every room but we don't use them. I replaced our light in the living room with the dimmest bulb available in Chad. I figured I could outsmart bugs by using a light the same wattage that your 1986 calculator watch used.  It didn't make a difference. Bugs just love light and even though we are in a house dim enough to require us to wear headlamps, we still host a massive insect party every night. Like its the Superbowl and tickets are free so drop on in and bring everyone you have ever known, met, or seen.  
I don't know where they come from but they find a way inside. We have screens on our windows but these bugs somehow liquify and ooze through only to reanimate and fly directly into my: eye/drink/yawning mouth. 
     Have you ever had a bug in your bed? ONE bug is annoying and a little creepy.  I routinely wake up with dozens in our bed. At first I had to rub my arm or leg every time I felt a bug. I slept in until 7am today happy as could be. Me and all of my buggy friends.  Today was laundry day and before I could put the sheets on the bed tonight, I had to sweep all the bugs off of the mattress. I will conservatively estimate there were at LEAST 50 bugs & possibly 75 bugs hanging out on the mattress. It probably took me 10 minutes to get most of them off but by the time I finished, they were back on the part of the mattress where I began the de-bug process. Did I mention this is all going on INSIDE a bug net that covers our bed? These bugs are small and persistent. I finally recognized that I wasn't in charge so I just put the sheet on the mattress like they like it. I will dust off my side again at bedtime. After I'm asleep, they can feel free to join me. I don't bite. 
     So, the rain is gone. Bugs should take the hint and go away too. I'm asking everyone reading this to turn your front porch light on tonight to draw their fire. Give us the night off. You can have our bugs tonight. Maybe turn it into a fund raiser? 
     Instead of dumping that bucket of cold ice water on your head, leave your recessed canister halogen florescent oil rubbed bronze front porch light chandelier on tonight and donate $1 for every bug you can count after 1 hour. Message me for info...I could use the cash for more bug spray. 

-Mason
P. S. 
  Some details have been slightly exaggerated, but I did inadvertently swallow a bug tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment