Saturday, February 7, 2015

Praying under pressure 13Dec2014

* I decided to tweak an email I sent to a friend and share a lighter side of my life here in Chad.

Praying under pressure 13Dec2014

     I was preparing to lead morning worship at the hospital this am and pressure began to build. Staff, patients and visitors gather to sing & pray each day at 7am. I found out late yesterday afternoon that it was my turn to lead again-- yikes! I got pulled into this because I didn't understand one garbled conversation a month or two ago. Apparently there was an incomprehensible chat in French between me and a notorious "low talker" Monsieur Mumbles during which time I agreed to help out a few times a month. Seriously? I barely speak the language!
     It takes me a long time to write & translate and practice my French but I pulled it all together last night and finished preparing early this am. 
     I arrived early to read & pray as I waited for worship to start. And I waited. And I waited. Then realized that I need to poop.  I can hold it, no problem. I waited some more as the sweat built up on my forehead. I waited precisely 24 minutes and then took decisive action: its time to get prayer time over with! I had urgent matters pending!
     I went inside Urgence (ER) and asked "don't we normally pray & sing each morning? Where is everyone?"  The nurse mumbled something about people... Not here today...etc.   I was 1% disappointed and 99% relieved since I had been venting some serious gas during our entire one minute conversation.   I turned and shouted the French equivalent of "see ya!" as I sprinted home just in time. 
     I may not have prayed in front of a crowd this am but I sure did pray during the entire jog home that I could hold it together for a few more minutes! I also prayed no one was on the only toilet in our house. My plan B was the backyard & I was fully prepared to squat and wave at the neighbors if necessary!

-Mason
whyweshouldgo.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment